Monday, September 16, 2013

“We are Family” (even though you’re Frencher than me)

So I have moved in with a French family here in Dijon and oh my goodness, they are wonderful. My “mère” is whatever the “Steel Magnolia” equivalent is here… (Oh my gosh I just typed that in French first… y’all, it’s happening- I’m starting to think in French first!!). Anyways, she runs her home, is an English teacher at her old school right by their home, makes homemade jelly, and dinner for whoever is home every night. She has been so great helping me get involved with other things around Dijon, and introducing me to her friends. Her husband works in Paris during the week so I haven’t seen him that often but he is extremely nice, like the rest of their family, and he has been extremely helpful correcting my French- a common dailyhourly… ok minute by minute occurrence. I told them I wanted to be corrected though because how else am I going to get better?! I have four new siblings, and for the first time, I am one of the babies of the family. All of my new siblings are involved in the medical field- one vet (Claire), one doctor (Olivier), one studying medicine for children at the hospital (Camille), and one who just started medical school (Martin- the only one I am older than)… Needless to say I feel rather educationally intimidated. I love how much at home I feel here though. I am the only student living with a family this big, and I also happen to be one of the only ones with the same size family at home in the States, so this is nothing new to me. If anything, I am more comfortable with this situation than I would have been in a dorm or living with a family without children. Oh, I also I have a new dog, Gaston. He has become famous with our group because of all the hilarious stories I am able to share about him, most famously his sneaky ploy to steal my razor out of the bathroom, only to greet me at the door with it in his mouth before sprinting and sliding all around the tile floor taunting me with it. Yes, I felt like a fool trying to get it back, but I did succeed. I think I will try to teach him English while I’m here J

Gaston- my 2 year old French Bulldog
Sunday (Sept. 1st)- My first night with them was hilarious, but so, so great. I was greeted with the standard kisses on the cheeks (“bisous”), and then was whisked away to their home 10 minutes outside of downtown by bus, (about 25 minutes walking). I was asked tons of questions and a little intimidated by how quickly they were speaking, but to my wonderful surprise, I was able to understand most of what they were saying! They were most fascinated by my name and kept talking about how strange the name “Tillman” is. I told them it was weird in America too, but they just got such a kick out of it, it was funny watching them talk and laugh about it and try to figure out why I would go by a “nom de famille”, (family name/ last name). Thankfully I like my name, but unfortunately they just can’t pronounce it here very easily. My père just calls me “Elisabeth” since that is my first name and I’m wondering if I will have to go by that at the university (fingers crossed I won’t). We had a huge, very French dinner, (5 courses including a cheese course), and then I got settled in my new little room. It is perfect for my life here and it is nice having my own space. My biggest blunder of the night came when I was trying to ask my mère when she did the laundry. The word in French for laundry is “lessive”, but I said “lavande” instead. She looked at me with the strangest expression and then quickly shuffled me outside to show me her lavender bush and explain to me that it’s about to die so if I wanted some for my room, I could just grab some. I was so confused and then realized that I had asked her when she does her lavender, not her laundry… Whoops! I’ve had several other moments like this, but that one was the best. She also gave me a few cute welcoming gifts including some perfume, some lavender soap, a Dijon grocery bag since the French don’t use the plastic bags we do in America, and a few other cute things. Very thoughtful!

Monday (2nd)- I woke up and had a delicious breakfast of yogurt, granola, freshly squeezed orange juice, hot tea, and anything else in their kitchen I wanted. I’m trying not to eat bread at everyyy meal, but apparently the most common breakfast for French kids is bread and chocolate…I wish! My new brother Martin walked me to the bus stop and explained that it goes straight into downtown and unfortunately I didn’t pay attention to the name of the stop so that made coming home a little difficult, but I did manage and guessed right the first time! Their house is in a cute little neighborhood right by this park so Tuesday (3rd) with my new house key, go-phone, and a map in hand, I went for a walk up the hill to find the park and I was blown away. The view was beautiful! I was right on the edge of a cliff, overlooking the whole city of Dijon. I have already made several trips back and I kind of don’t even want to work out when I’m up there. Literally you could sit there for hours and just watch. There is a bocce ball court there and there is a beautiful stone village, school and church and all. That afternoon my mère Claude took me to their pool. I met some of her friends and it just was so cute hanging out with them. Our families are only required to provide 2 dinners a week for us, but she was so sweet and invited me to eat with them every night, and I certainly didn’t mind. We had lots of fresh fruit, fish, cheese, and more fruit. Wednesday (4th) My mère convinced me to go rent a bike and let me tell you, I was all over that, until I showed up at the building and saw how long the line was. Not wanting to disappoint though, I waited for an hour and a half in that line and finally got my own bike to keep for the next 3 months. I left for Bourgogne Thursday, (my most previous post), but we were back Saturday night, and Sunday (8th) morning came bright and early, but it was a big day in the Fleck house- we were doing the Velotour in Dijon. My mère had been telling me about this tour around the city with bikes since the first night and when she asked me if I wanted to do it, I was all in. I tried to rally some of the other Wake kids but unfortunately no one else rented a bike, making it rather hard to participate. So I assumed I would just be riding with my mère and père, but they had other plans. She told me we were leaving at 8:20 am and I was ready, wearing my lululemon leggings, Red Bar tshirt, and Nike tennis shoes, happy to have an excuse to finally wear workout clothes in public.


Y’all I stuck out like a sore thumb. All the other cute French women were wearing khaki shorts, sweaters, scarves, sunhats, the whole she-bang. C’est la vie. As we were riding, she told me I was actually going to be riding with her friend Isabel’s daughter Louise. The thought of this terrified me, but I asked the Lord for confidence and trusted He would be with me, as He has been so much already. Claude dropped me off at Isabel’s and her daughter wasn’t even awake yet. So we sat there for an hour in her kitchen drinking tea and I actually had the greatest time. I then became nervous that things would be uncomfortable with Louise, but they weren’t at all and I made new friends that day, thanks to my mère and thanks truly to the Lord and His care for us, even in the smallest and seemingly most meaningless situations. Matthew 6:30-34 couldn't be more applicable in my life right now. I feel like my desires are so small and meaningless, but God cares about my desires, even the smallest ones. I am continually being humbled, and I don't hate it! Louise’s friend Emmanuel joined us and off we went, ready to take off at 10 am, our start time. I was thinking this was going to be an hour, maybe an hour and a half ride. Y’all it took us 4 ½ hours and we don’t even do the whole thing because it started raining! My mère packed me a picnic lunch and I didn’t understand why until about 2 ½ hours in when I was starving and realized we were only barely half way through. 

Me, Louise, and Emmanuel
Anyways, bike tour ended up being great. We drove through all of these buildings around Dijon, and I do mean through the buildings. Several concert venues, their professional futball stadium, a popular nightclub, a school, a dentist office, an insurance building, just to name a few. When we finished, we snacked on more hot tea and homemade tiramisu at Louise's house. Not too shabby, am I right? 

Ok, so sorry to overwhelm you with stories, there is just so much to share! I am sure there will be plenty more, but for now, know I am in great hands and learning to live even more independently and to rely on the Lord and His love for me even more. God is good.
"Good like good bread"
5 Things I wish all of y'all could do in Dijon with me: 1- Have tea at Cafe La Chouette with me right outside of one of the cathedrals in Dijon and people watch all the silly tourists. 2- Come walking up to Talant with me and Gaston and drool over the incredible view I get to see when I make the hike up the hill. 3- Rent a bike and come riding with me around my new city, I'll show you all the secret spots (the ones that I know about so far). 4- Come hang out with my new friends. We made homemade chocolate lava cakes the other night at Louise's house and watched Downtown Abbey in French! It's popular over here too y'all. 5- Come discover one of the many wonderful patisseries with me in Dijon. A "pain au chocolat" every once in a while is good for your soul! 

So much love all the way from France!

No comments:

Post a Comment