Monday, May 14, 2012

"We are here, we are here, we are here!"

Funny how time flies so quickly. I had started a blog entry on Friday the 11th, the day I left for Cape Town, but in between seeing my friends play for the Varsity High School Boys Tennis State Championship match (they won by the way), saying goodbyes, and packing, it just didn't get finished. I had been home all of 3 days and my life has been a whirlwind. From chorus recitals, state soccer games, tennis semi-finals, swimming with my sisters, unpacking for school, re-packing for my trip to Africa,  having family dinners, time literally flew, but it was all great things and makes me look forward to getting back there (in 5 weeks). After a lonnggg journey over here, we finally made it to Cape Town. We had a 10 hour lay over in Frankfurt which only confirmed my love of direct flights. There is just not much to do in an airport, and after about 5 hours, I was ready to get going, but clearly the boys enjoyed some napping in the meantime...




The flight from Frankfurt to Johannesburg was 11 hours and thankfully most everyone slept the whole way. Such an answer to prayer that we were able to sleep. I have never been more thankful for a bed in my whole life. Johannesburg to Cape Town was a quick 2 hours and then we arrived to a group of Global LEAD leaders who had posters decorated for us and welcomed us into the city. We found our apartments which are located right on the beach and 2 of my roommates here went to the grocery store called "Checkers" at the mall. I was mistaken for a local while in there and truly couldn't have been more excited. The 3 Wake girls spent about 400 rands (around $50) while the 3 Wake guys spent almost 1000 rands (about $125), we headed back to our apartments. We quicklyyyy found out that our hot water wasn't working, but we had to take a shower! We hadn't showered since Friday morning... it was Sunday evening (tres nasty as my mom says). I am not kidding when I say that I have never taken a colder shower in my entire life, and I have taken cold showers. My body was literally shaking and I maybe was in there for 5 minutes. After asking around we figured out that our owner only has the hot water working from 6-9 am... Who does that?? We are in the process of working around that. We had a great dinner out at a Global LEAD favorite. We went to a Greek restaurant within walking distance of our apartments and enjoyed some authentic Greek food, in South Africa.

Needless to say, we all made it safe and sound. Things I am thankful for: safe travels, good friends to travel with, making new friends, all of my luggage getting here on time, a comfy bed, clean water, getting to live right by a beach, perfect weather, calling my mother on mother's day and telling her  how much I love her and how absolutely incredible she is, (because it's true and she deserves to hear it), getting the chance to grow spiritually and learning to choose joy, spending time with the Lord in another country and knowing He is right by side!! So many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment