Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What to do your 1st weekened in Cape Town


Wow, what a weekend. As y’all already know, our days are jam packed full of some of the most incredible things. This past weekend, our first full weekend here, was no different. Friday we had class and then got the afternoon off, so I went with some friends to a place called the Green Market. It is a little open air market downtown where local vendors sell their art, jewelry, wood carvings, clothing, etc. It reminded me a lot of the little markets in France. I had to learn how to bargain with the vendors very quickly. Thankfully they usually already give you a discount for being a “cute pretty girl” but I learned you can talk them down pretty far from their original prices, especially if they think they will lose the sale. Then the group I was with walked to Long Street, a famous street where tons of bars and restaurants are in Cape Town, and we picked a local place to eat called Neighborhood and it was fantastic! 

Saturday, a group of us got up early, around 8:00 and went to this place called the Old Biscuit Mill. Let me just preface this by saying that this was one of the only places that was on every single “to-do” list from previous students on Global Lead AND it was frequented by all of the locals. Well… it was amazing! I would marry a local just to go back every Saturday morning (just kidding mom and dad), but it was actually incredible. Someone described it as a Whole Foods on steroids. It is a huge open air food market with the most amazing food you have ever had- and you could sample almost all of it! Here is a picture of just one booth... (most of them looked like mini-restaurants though):


I had a banana and nutella crepe for breakfast and then a Caprese sandwich for lunch, but plan on being more adventurous this Saturday when we go again. In between trying all of the food and eating, there are more shops to walk around and buy things from as well. I walked to the grocery store Saturday afternoon with some girls to get some food and enjoy the weather. Then we all headed to the Stormer’s rugby game and oh my goodness, it was incredible! None of us knew anything about rugby, but the atmosphere of the stadium was similar, (but not quite as intense), as a world cup soccer match, which I went to with my dad and sister in Panama a few years ago. They have their chants, their cheers, and they even do the wave, but man they love that game. The stadium was huge and pretty full of people. They sell doughnuts inside the stadium… it’s probably a good thing they don’t do that in America because one of the Wake guys bought 3!


Sunday morning I got to do one of my life dreams... go to Hillsong church! It was one of the most incredible churches I have ever been to. It was truly like the Passion Conference in Atlanta this past January, and it reminded me a little bit of Passion City Church in Atlanta, but it's in South Africa, come on. The energy was extremely high as it seemed like everyone wanted to be there singing and praising the Lord. The message was clear and true as the pastor preached out of Luke and talked about miracles and how God uses us in our brokenness. So true. Until He returns, I'm so happy there are places to worship Him all over the world. 

Sorry for the novel, but basically there are a ton of fun things to do around here, and I can't wait to update y'all at the end of the week about what I've been doing this week. God is so good, and His mercies are new every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment